Corel® WordPerfect® X4: Level 2
Course SpecificationsCourse number: 084028
Course length: 1.0 day(s)
In the first course in this series, Corel® WordPerfect® X4: Level 1, you gained an understanding of the basic functions available to create a range of simple, standardized documents. You may now be interested in gaining greater proficiency with the application, and to personalize it to suit your work style. In this course, you will explore some advanced functions available in Corel® WordPerfect® X4, and create documents of greater complexity and variety.Course Objective: You will customize the Corel® WordPerfect® interface, and create styles, macros, and templates. You will sort and merge documents and publish them to PDF. You will also create legal documents and publish them to EDGAR.
Target Student: Any business, government, law office, small business, or home office user of WordPerfect X4.
Prerequisites: Basic PC/Windows skills and knowledge, and familiarity with creating, modifying, and formatting simple WordPerfect documents. We would recommend that you complete the following course, available in the Element K catalog, before taking this course.
- Corel® WordPerfect® X4: Level 1
- Personal computer with 466 MHz processor (Pentium III or equivalent) or higher.
- 256 MB of RAM.
- 600 MB of hard disk space for full installation of all included applications Space requirement may vary by configuration.
- Either a local CD-ROM drive or access to a networked CD-ROM drive.
- A two-button mouse, an IntelliMouse, or a compatible pointing device.
- Super VGA, 16-bit color monitor supporting 800 x 600 or higher resolution.
- An installed printer driver. (Printers are not required; however, each PC must have an installed printer driver to use Print Preview.)
- A custom setup of Corel® WordPerfect® Office X4. See the Class Setup section for details.
- Windows® XP Professional. This course was written using the Windows XP Professional operating system with SP1 installed. WordPerfect X4 will run on Windows 2000 with SP3, Windows NT 4 with SP6a, or Windows 98 SE. However, using this course with other operating systems or configurations may affect how the activities work.
- Microsoft® Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- Acrobat® PDF Reader 7.0 or higher
Performance-Based ObjectivesUpon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- examine the many ways to alter the Corel® WordPerfect® interface to suit your work style.
- format text using the available styles in Corel® WordPerfect® as well as create new styles.
- combine information from two documents to create a new document using the merge function in Corel® WordPerfect®.
- examine different ways to sort and extract data in a Corel® WordPerfect® document.
- use macros in Corel® WordPerfect®.
- create and use templates in Corel® WordPerfect®.
- format text in columns to create a newsletter, and insert graphics and text boxes in Corel® WordPerfect®.
- analyze the advantages of working in Legal mode in Corel® WordPerfect®.
- import a PDF file and publish a Corel® WordPerfect® document to PDF.
- Lesson 1: Customizing the WordPerfect Interface
- Topic 1A: Apply WordPerfect Settings
- Topic 1B: Create Custom Toolbars
- Lesson 2: Using Styles
- Topic 2A: Apply Styles
- Topic 2B: Create a Style
- Topic 2C: Create a QuickStyle
- Topic 2D: Retrieve Styles
- Lesson 3: Merging Data
- Topic 3A: Familiarize Yourself with the Merge Function
- Topic 3B: Create a Data File
- Topic 3C: Create a Form File
- Topic 3D: Perform the Merge
- Topic 3E: Perform a Selective Merge
- Lesson 4: Sorting and Extracting Data
- Topic 4A: Sort Data
- Topic 4B: Create User-Defined Sorts
- Topic 4C: Sort Table Data
- Topic 4D: Extract Records
- Lesson 5: Using Macros
- Topic 5A: Record a Macro
- Topic 5B: Play a Macro
- Topic 5C: Edit a Macro
- Lesson 6: Using Templates
- Topic 6A: Create a Document from a Template
- Topic 6B: Create a Custom Template
- Lesson 7: Creating a Newsletter
- Topic 7A: Format Text into Columns
- Topic 7B: Insert a Column Break
- Topic 7C: Insert a Graphic
- Topic 7D: Size and Move a Graphic
- Topic 7E: Insert a Text Box
- Lesson 8: Working in Legal Mode
- Topic 8A: Create a Pleading Document
- Topic 8B: Create a Table of Authorities
- Topic 8C: Publish Documents to EDGAR
- Lesson 9: Working with PDF Files
- Topic 9A: Import PDF Files
- Topic 9B: Publish PDF Files with Customized Settings