SQL Querying: Fundamentals
Many organizations use databases to store their most critical information: the information that manages their day-to-day operations. After the data is stored in databases, however, it is useless unless you can retrieve it for further business analysis. One example of a database management system is Microsoft SQL Server 2012. The language you use to retrieve information from SQL Server 2012 databases is the Structured Query Language (SQL). This course, SQL Querying: Fundamentals, will teach you to use SQL as a tool to retrieve the information you need from databases.
In this course, you will compose SQL queries to retrieve desired information from a database.
- Connect to the SQL Server database and execute a simple query.
- Include a search condition in a simple query.
- Use various functions to perform calculations on data.
- Organize the data obtained from a query before it is displayed on-screen.
- Retrieve data from multiple tables.
- Export the results of a query.
This course is intended for individuals with basic computer skills, familiar with concepts related to database structure and terminology, and who want to use SQL to query databases.
Basic end-user computer skills and some familiarity with database terminology and structure are required. Completion of one of the following Logical Operations courses or equivalent knowledge and skill are highly recommended:
- Using Microsoft® Windows® 8.1
- Microsoft® Windows® 8 Transition from Windows® 7
Course-specific Technical Requirements
For this course, you will need one computer for each student and one for the instructor. Each computer will need the following minimum hardware configurations:
- 1 GHz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
- 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
- 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
- CD-ROM drive
- Keyboard and mouse (or other pointing device)
- 1024 x 768 resolution monitor recommended
- Network cards and cabling for local network access
- Internet access (contact your local network administrator)
- Printer (optional) or an installed printer driver
- Projection system to display the instructor's computer screen
- Microsoft® Windows® 8
Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Express Edition with Service Pack 1
Lesson 1: Executing a Simple Query
Topic A: Connect to the SQL Database
Topic B: Query a Database
Topic C: Save a Query
Topic D: Modify and Execute a Saved Query
Lesson 2: Performing a Conditional Search
Topic A: Search Using One or More Conditions
Topic B: Search for a Range of Values and NULL Values
Topic C: Search Data Based on Patterns
Lesson 3: Working with Functions
Topic A: Perform Date Calculations
Topic B: Calculate Data Using Aggregate Functions
Topic C: Manipulate String Values
Lesson 4: Organizing Data
Topic A: Sort Data
Topic B: Rank Data
Topic C: Group Data
Topic D: Filter Grouped Data
Topic E: Summarize Grouped Data
Topic F: Use PIVOT and UNPIVOT Operators
Lesson 5: Retrieving Data from Multiple Tables
Topic A: Combine the Results of Two Queries
Topic B: Compare the Results of Two Queries
Topic C: Retrieve Data by Joining Tables
Lesson 6: Exporting Query Results
Topic A: Generate a Text File
Topic B: Generate an XML File
Appendix A: The FullerAckerman Database
|Days of Training||1|
|Product Type||Print and Digital Courseware|
|Manufacturer's Product Code||N/A|
|Revision Notes||No Revision Information Available|
|Original Publication Date||2014-01-17 00:00:00|