Microsoft Project 2003: Level 1
Course SpecificationsCourse number: 084725
Software: Microsoft Office Project Professional 2003
Course length: 1.0 day(s)
Welcome to Microsoft Project 2003: Level 1. This course is the
first in a series of two courses designed for individuals who will use Microsoft
Office Project Professional 2003 as a tool to assist them in managing projects.
The topics in this course cover the critical skills necessary to create and
modify a project plan file that contains tasks, resources, and resource assignments.
Course Objective: You will create a project plan file containing tasks, organize these
tasks in a work breakdown structure containing task relationships, create
and assign resources, and finalize the project to implement the project plan.
Target Student: This course is designed for a person who has an understanding of
project management concepts, who is responsible for creating and modifying
project plans, and who needs a tool to manage those project plans.
Prerequisites: Students enrolling in this class should have the following:
- An understanding of project management concepts.
- Knowledge of a Windows operating system, either Windows 2000 : Introduction or Windows XP : Introduction.
The following would be helpful, but are not required: A basic knowledge of Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.The Element K Project Management Fundamentals: Part One course.The Element K Project Management Fundamentals: Part Two course.The Element K Harvard Manage Mentor: Project Management course.Delivery Method: Instructor led, group-paced, classroom-delivery learning model with structured hands-on activities.
To use Microsoft Office Project Professional 2003 on each student's
machine, you need the following hardware:
- Pentium 233 MHz or higher processor.
- 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or more.
- 130 megabytes (MB) of available hard-disk space or more.
- CD-ROM drive.
- Super VGA or higher resolution monitor.
- Microsoft Mouse, Microsoft IntelliMouse® or a compatible
- Additional items or services are required to use certain features:
14.4 Kbps or faster modem, and a multimedia computer to access sound and other
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Home, or Windows 2000
Professional with Service Pack 3 or later operating system.
Software required on each student machine includes the following:
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional.
- Microsoft Office Project Professional 2003.
- Internet Explorer 6.0 with Service Pack 1 or later, if you
wish to access the Microsoft Office Project help files on the Internet.
Performance-Based ObjectivesUpon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- create a project plan file and enter task information.
- create a work breakdown structure by organizing tasks and
setting task relationships.
- assign project resources.
- finalize the project plan file.
- Lesson 1: Creating a Project Plan File
- Topic 1A: Create a Project Plan File
- Topic 1B: Create and Assign a Project Calendar
- Topic 1C: Add Tasks to the Project Plan File
- Topic 1D: Add a Project Summary Task
- Topic 1E: Add a Recurring Task
- Topic 1F: Enter Task Duration Estimates
- Lesson 2: Creating a Work Breakdown Structure
- Topic 2A: Outline Tasks
- Topic 2B: Link Dependent Tasks
- Topic 2C: Identify Deliverables in the Project
- Topic 2D: Constrain Tasks
- Topic 2E: Set a Task Deadline
- Lesson 3: Creating and Assigning Resources
- Topic 3A: Create Resources
- Topic 3B: Create a Resource Calendar
- Topic 3C: Assign Resources
- Topic 3D: Assign Additional Resources to
- Topic 3E: Resolve Resource Conflicts
- Lesson 4: Finalizing the Project Plan
- Topic 4A: View the Critical Path
- Topic 4B: Shorten the Project Duration
- Topic 4C: Set a Baseline
- Topic 4D: Display Project Summary Information