Course SpecificationsCourse number: 084029
Software: Microsoft® Office Word® 2008
Course length: 1.0 day(s)
Word processing is the use of computer programs to create,
revise, and save documents for printing and future retrieval. These programs
come with a slew of features that assist in document creation tasks. In this
course, you will explore the basic concepts of creating standard business
documents in Microsoft® Office Word® 2008.
Course Objective: You will create, edit, and format standard documents in Microsoft®
Office Word® 2008.
Target Student: This course is designed for persons with a basic understanding of
the Macintosh environment. It is meant for those who need to know how to use
Microsoft® Office Word® 2008 for Macintosh to create, edit, format,
layout, and print standard business documents with tables and graphics.
Prerequisites: Students should be familiar with using personal computers.
They should be comfortable with the Windows environment and use it to manage
information on their computer. Specifically, they should be able to launch
and close programs; navigate to information stored on the computer; and manage
files and folders. Students should have completed the following courses:
- Mac OS X v10.5 (Leopard): Introduction
Delivery Method: Instructor led, group-paced, classroom-delivery learning model with structured hands-on activities.
- Mac OS X v10.3: Introduction
For this course, you will need one Macintosh computer
for each student and one for the instructor. Each computer should have the
following minimum hardware configuration:
- Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 1.83 GHz, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC
G4 (500 MHz or faster) processor
- 512 MB RAM or more
- 10 GB hard disk or larger (at least 1.5 GB free hard disk
space for Office installation)
- DVD drive
- Keyboard and mouse or other pointing device
- 1024 x 768 resolution monitor (recommended)
- Network cards and cabling for local network access
- Internet access (contact your local network administrator)
- Printer (optional) or a printer driver
- Projection system to display the instructor’s screen
- Microsoft® Office 2008 for Mac
- Mac OS X version 10.5 or later
Performance-Based ObjectivesUpon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- create a basic document.
- edit documents by locating and modifying text.
- format text.
- format paragraphs.
- add tables to a document.
- add graphic elements to a document.
- control page setup and the overall appearance of a document.
- proof documents.
- Lesson 1: Creating a Basic Document
- Topic 1A: Explore the User Interface
- Topic 1B: Open and View a Document
- Topic 1C: Customize the Word Environment
- Topic 1D: Obtain Help
- Topic 1E: Enter Text
- Topic 1F: Save a Document
- Topic 1G: Preview and Print a Document
- Lesson 2: Editing a Document
- Topic 2A: Navigate and Select Text in a Document
- Topic 2B: Insert, Delete, or Rearrange Text
- Topic 2C: Undo Changes
- Topic 2D: Search and Replace Text
- Lesson 3: Formatting Text
- Topic 3A: Change
- Topic 3B: Highlight
- Lesson 4: Formatting Paragraphs
- Topic 4A: Set Tabs to Align Text
- Topic 4B: Control Paragraph Layout
- Topic 4C: Add Borders
- Topic 4D: Apply
- Topic 4E: Create Lists
- Topic 4F: Manage Formatting
- Lesson 5: Adding Tables
- Topic 5A: Create a Table
- Topic 5B: Modify
the Table Structure
- Topic 5C: Format a Table
- Topic 5D: Convert Text to Table
- Lesson 6: Inserting Graphic Objects
- Topic 6A: Add Visual Effects Using Symbols and Special Characters
- Topic 6B: Insert Illustrations
- Lesson 7: Controlling Page Appearance
- Topic 7A: Control Page Layout
- Topic 7B: Apply a Page Border and Color
- Topic 7C: Add Watermarks
- Topic 7D: Add Headers and Footers
- Lesson 8: Proofing a Document
- Topic 8A: Check Spelling, Grammar, and Word Count
- Topic 8B: Enhance Textual Meaning Using the Thesaurus
- Topic 8C: Customize the AutoCorrect Options