Adobe® Photoshop® CS5: A Comprehensive Approach
Course SpecificationsCourse number: 084660
Course length: 3.0 day(s)
Course DescriptionCourse Objective: You will understand and use the various elements in the Photoshop
CS5 interface so as to efficiently work with the software. You will use the
different tools in Photoshop to select parts of images and identify the need
for having layers in a document. You will also organize the different components
of the design as layers You will apply layer effects and other special effects
to enhance the design's appearance. You will enhance your ability to create
accurate masks and image, effects, retouch images, work with video files,
automate repetitive tasks, and integrate with other Adobe applications. You
will also use color management techniques and color correct images to ensure
optimal print output. You will set Photoshop’s unit preferences and
save files in different formats to see how well each format balances image
quality with file size reduction. You will then calibrate your system’s
color display. You will also use Photoshop as part of creating finished web
pages, export individual slices, and create an HTML web page that displays
a table containing the sliced sections. Finally, you will create and optimize
animations for the web and mobile devices.
Target Student: This course is intended for a diverse audience, including, but not
limited to, computer-savvy professionals who want to create and enhance graphics
for marketing materials, newsletters, blogs, and websites; photographers who
want to work with and prepare photos for print and web; students with an interest
in graphic design or those with novice design skills; and professionals who
want to learn and use Photoshop CS5 as a complement to other CS5 programs,
such as Illustrator. The course covers the Adobe Visual Communications using
Photoshop CS5 and Adobe Photoshop CS5 ACE objectives, and is intended to help
prepare students to take the Adobe Certified Associate and Adobe Certified
Expert exams. Please refer to the CD-ROM that came with this course for a
document that maps the Adobe Visual Communication using Photoshop CS5 objectives
and the Adobe Photoshop CS5 ACE exam objectives to the content in the Adobe
Photoshop CS5 series.
Prerequisites: Before taking this course, students should be familiar
with the basic functions of their computer's operating system such as creating
folders, launching program, and working with windows. Students should also
have basic Windows® application skills, such as copying and pasting objects,
formatting text, saving files, and so on.
- Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor
- 1 GB of RAM
- 1 GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional
free space required during installation, and an additional 500 MB to run the
- 1024 x 768 display (1280 x 800 recommended) with qualified
hardware-accelerated OpenGL graphics card, 16-bit color, and 256 MB of VRAM
- Some GPU-accelerated features require graphics support for
Shader Model 3.0 and OpenGL 2.0
- Mouse or any other compatible tracking device
- DVD-ROM drive
- Internet connection with Internet Explorer version 7.0 or
- A color printer or color print driver
- Display system to project the instructor's computer screen
Each computer requires the following software:
- Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 3; Windows
Vista® Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise with Service Pack
1 (Service Pack 2 recommended); or Windows 7
- Adobe® Photoshop® CS5 Extended
- QuickTime 7.6.2, or later, software required for multimedia
- Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 7.0, or later
- Adobe® Reader® 9.0, or later.
Course ObjectivesUpon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- initiate a project.
- explore the Adobe Photoshop CS5 environment.
- determine the resolution and graphic type.
- work with selections.
- work with multiple layers.
- enhance images with paint and filters.
- identify the characteristics of various image modes and
color adjustment options.
- save images for web and print.
- use image-editing tools in Photoshop to manipulate and
enhance the appearance of an image.
- create and edit vector paths.
- work with shape layers and masks.
- automate tasks in Adobe Photoshop.
- use the tools available in Adobe Photoshop to edit and
export video files.
- work with other Adobe applications.
- understand the various color modes and workflow.
- calibrate a monitor and use color management profiles
to control image display.
- use the advanced image support features available in Photoshop
- combine images.
- enhance the quality of images.
- adjust RGB colors to perform color correction for images.
- create high quality CMYK separations for commercial printing.
- convert color images to grayscale and add spot colors
- prepare images for the web.
- optimize images by saving them in different formats and
applying transparency to them.
- apply color management techniques, alter image brightness,
and ensure color consistency to create images that are attractive to the widest
possible audience who use different platforms such as Macintosh and Windows.
- create web page layouts.
- export a web page.
- create animations for web and mobile devices.
- Lesson 1: Initiating a Project
- Topic 1A: Plan a Project
- Topic 1B: Identify Copyright and Citation Requirements
- Lesson 2: Exploring the Adobe® Photoshop® CS5 Environment
- Topic 2A: Explore the Photoshop Interface
- Topic 2B: Customize the Workspace
- Topic 2C: Explore Adobe Bridge
- Lesson 3: Determining Graphic Type and Resolution
- Topic 3A: Differentiate Between Raster and Vector Graphics
- Topic 3B: Understand Image Resolution
- Lesson 4: Working with Selections
- Topic 4A: Create a Selection
- Topic 4B: Save a Selection
- Topic 4C: Modify a Selection
- Topic 4D: Apply Color to a Selection
- Lesson 5: Working with Layers
- Topic 5A: Create Layers
- Topic 5B: Work with Type Layers
- Topic 5C: Transform Layers
- Topic 5D: Apply Styles
- Topic 5E: Undo Previous Steps
- Topic 5F: Manage Layers
- Lesson 6: Enhancing Images with Paint and Filters
- Topic 6A: Paint on an Image
- Topic 6B: Apply Filter Effects
- Lesson 7: Exploring Image Modes and Color Adjustments
- Topic 7A: Explore Grayscale and Bitmap Modes
- Topic 7B: Apply Color Adjustments
- Lesson 8: Saving Images for Web and Print
- Topic 8A: Save Images for Print
- Topic 8B: Save Images for the Web
- Topic 8C: Save Images as PDF
- Lesson 9: Enhancing Images
- Topic 9A: Create
- Topic 9B: Retouch Images
- Topic 9C: Adjust Tonal Range Using Adjustment Layers
- Lesson 10: Working with Vector Paths
- Topic 10A: Create Vector Paths
- Topic 10B: Edit Paths
- Lesson 11: Working with Shape Layers and Masks
- Topic 11A: Work with Shape Layers
- Topic 11B: Work with Masks
- Topic 11C: Apply Special Effects to a Layer
- Lesson 12: Automating Tasks
- Topic 12A: Work with Actions
- Topic 12B: Automate Tasks Using Adobe Bridge
- Lesson 13: Working with Video Files
- Topic 13A: Edit Video Files
- Topic 13B: Export Video Files
- Lesson 14: Integrating with Other Adobe Applications
- Topic 14A: Integrate with Adobe® Illustrator®
- Topic 14B: Edit a Photoshop File in Adobe® Acrobat®
- Lesson 15: Understanding Color Modes and Workflow
- Topic 15A: Compare Color Modes
- Topic 15B: Examine Color Workflow
- Lesson 16: Setting Color Space
- Topic 16A: Calibrate and Profile the Monitor
- Topic 16B: Set a Working Color Space in Photoshop
- Topic 16C: Convert Images from One Color Space to Another
- Topic 16D: Manage Printing and Color
- Lesson 17: Using Advanced Image Support
- Topic 17A: Work with the Camera Raw Format
- Topic 17B: Create High Dynamic Range Images
- Topic 17C: Enhance Images Using Lens Correction Filter
- Topic 17D: Preview an Image on a Video Monitor
- Lesson 18: Combining Images
- Topic 18A: Merge and Rescale Images
- Topic 18B: Blend Images
- Lesson 19: Enhancing Image Quality
- Topic 19A: Reduce Noise in Images
- Topic 19B: Sharpen Images
- Topic 19C: Minimize Moiré Patterns
- Topic 19D: Eliminate Red Eye Defects
- Lesson 20: Adjusting RGB Colors
- Topic 20A: Identify Color Regions for Color Correction
- Topic 20B: Make Color and Contrast Adjustments
- Topic 20C: Make Basic Curve Adjustments
- Topic 20D: Correct Memory Colors
- Topic 20E: Adjust Shadows and Highlights Independently
- Lesson 21: Creating CMYK Separations
- Topic 21A: Adjust Color Settings for Prepress
- Topic 21B: Examine Calibration Techniques
- Topic 21C: Adjust Out-of-Gamut Colors
- Topic 21D: Color Separate Images
- Topic 21E: Adjust CMYK Curves
- Lesson 22: Working with Grayscale Images and Spot Colors
- Topic 22A: Convert Color Images to Grayscale Images
- Topic 22B: Create Duotones
- Topic 22C: Add Spot
Colors to Selected Areas of an Image
- Lesson 23: Preparing Web Images
- Topic 23A: Understand Images for the Web
- Topic 23B: Reduce File Size
- Lesson 24: Optimizing Images
- Topic 24A: Optimize Photographic Images
- Topic 24B: Optimize Flat Color Graphics and Illustrations
- Topic 24C: Apply Transparency Settings
- Lesson 25: Preparing Images for Cross-Platform Viewing
- Topic 25A: Set Up Color Management for the Web
- Topic 25B: Alter Images for Displaying Across Platforms
- Topic 25C: Snap to Web-Safe Colors
- Lesson 26: Creating Web Page Layouts
- Topic 26A: Create a Web Page
- Topic 26B: Create Web Page Backgrounds
- Topic 26C: Draw Editable Vector Shapes
- Topic 26D: Create Effects
- Lesson 27: Exporting a Web Page
- Topic 27A: Prepare a Web Page for Export
- Topic 27B: Export a Web Page
Appendix A: Organizing
Assets Using Adobe® Bridge
Appendix B: Examining
Appendix C: Identifying
Scanner Settings and Adjustments
Appendix D: Printing
Conditions for Commercial Purposes
Appendix E: Choosing
Appendix F: New
Features in Adobe® Photoshop® CS5
- Lesson 28: Creating Animations for Web and Mobile Devices
- Topic 28A: Create Frame Animations
- Topic 28B: Create Timeline Animations
- Topic 28C: Save Animations
- Topic 28D: Preview Animations on Mobile Devices