Effective Contract Negotiation for IT Managers
Course SpecificationsCourse number: 085069
Course length: 1.0 day(s)
Course DescriptionCourse Objective: You will perform IT contract negotiations.
Target Student: This course is intended for entry-level IT managers or other IT
managers who have no prior contract negotiation responsibilities.
Prerequisites: None; Related courses of interest: Communication Skills and
- A Pentium® III with 500 MHz (or better) or Macintosh®
Intel-based or PowerPC G4 (or better) processor
- At least 512 MB of RAM
- A monitor capable of 1024 x 768 screen resolution and 32-bit
- A display system to project the instructor’s computer
Each computer requires the following software:
- Microsoft® Windows Vista®, Windows® XP (Professional
or Home Edition), Windows 2000, or Apple® Mac OS® X 10.4 (or higher)
- Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 7 (or higher), Mozilla®
Firefox® 2 (or higher), or Apple® Safari® 2 (or higher), with
pop-up blocking turned off
- Microsoft® Office® 2007 (only Microsoft® Office
Word 2007 is required for this course)
Course ObjectivesUpon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- explore the contract management process.
- plan their negotiations.
- perform negotiations.
- negotiate in special circumstances.
- identify ways to refine their negotiating skills.
- create winning results.
- Lesson 1: Exploring
the Contract Management Process
- Topic 1A: The Contract Management Process
- Topic 1B: Explore Contract Documents
- Lesson 2: Planning
- Topic 2A: Select the Negotiation Type
- Topic 2B: Define Negotiation Objectives
- Topic 2C: Assemble Your Negotiating Team
- Lesson 3: Performing Negotiations
- Topic 3A: Prepare to Negotiate
- Topic 3B: Make the First Proposal
- Topic 3C: Counter the Offer or Proposal
- Topic 3D: Work Through an Impasse
- Topic 3E: Accept an Offer or Walk Away from Negotiations
- Lesson 4: Negotiating in Special Circumstances
- Topic 4A: Perform a Cross-Cultural Negotiation
- Topic 4B: Perform a Cross-Generational Negotiation
- Lesson 5: Refining Your Negotiating Skills
- Topic 5A: Determine the Skills of a Negotiator
- Topic 5B: Factors in the Negotiation Strategy
- Topic 5C: Tips to Build Rapport
- Topic 5D: Identify the Ways to Gain Vendor Commitment
- Lesson 6: Creating Winning Results
- Topic 6A: Close the Deal
- Topic 6B: Evaluate the Success of the Negotiation
- Topic 6C: Ensure a Lasting Relationship