Introduction to Lean Six Sigma
Course SpecificationsCourse number: 085096
Course length: 2.0 day(s)
Course DescriptionCourse Objective: You will identify the fundamental concepts of Lean Six Sigma.
Target Student: This course is intended for any level of employee and various levels of management that intend to take an active role in the
Lean Six Sigma methodology.
Prerequisites: Basic end-user skills with the word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation applications from any suite of office productivity
software, such as Microsoft Office.
Hardware RequirementsFor this course, you will need one computer for each student and one for the instructor. Each computer will need the following
minimum hardware configuration:
- 1 GHz Pentium-class processor or faster.
- Minimum 1 GB of RAM is recommended.
- 10 GB hard disk or larger. (You should have at least 1 GB of free hard disk space available for Office installation.)
- CD-ROM drive.
- Mouse or other pointing device.
- 1024 x 768 resolution monitor.
- Internet access. (Contact your local network administrator.)
- Printer or a network printer.
- Projection system to display the instructor’s computer screen.
Each computer requires the following software:
Course ObjectivesUpon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- describe the basics of Lean Six Sigma.
- describe a Lean Six Sigma organization.
- conduct Lean Six Sigma DMAIC phase 1: the Define phase.
- conduct Lean Six Sigma DMAIC phase 2: the Measure phase.
- conduct Lean Six Sigma DMAIC phase 3: the Analyze phase.
- conduct Lean Six Sigma DMAIC phase 4: the Improve phase.
- conduct Lean Six Sigma DMAIC phase 5: the Control phase.
- describe the implementation of Lean Six Sigma.
- Lesson 1: Fundamentals of Lean Six Sigma
- Topic 1A: Describe Lean Six Sigma
- Topic 1B: Identify the Elements of Six Sigma
- Topic 1C: Identify the Elements of Lean
- Topic 1D: Relate Lean Six Sigma to Other Quality Methodologies
- Lesson 2: Describing a Lean Six Sigma Organization
- Topic 2A: Determine the Need for a Customer-Driven Organization
- Topic 2B: Identify CTQs from the VOC
- Topic 2C: Identify Lean Six Sigma Projects
- Topic 2D: Identify Lean Six Sigma Teams and Roles in an Organization
- Topic 2E: Identify Lean Six Sigma Methodologies
- Lesson 3: Conducting Lean Six Sigma DMAIC Phase 1: The Define Phase
- Topic 3A: Describe the Define Phase
- Topic 3B: Draft a Project Charter
- Topic 3C: Draft an SIPOC Diagram
- Lesson 4: Conducting Lean Six Sigma DMAIC Phase 2: The Measure Phase
- Topic 4A: Describe the Measure Phase
- Topic 4B: Create a Process Map
- Topic 4C: Create a Fishbone Diagram
- Topic 4D: Create the Cause and Effect Matrix
- Topic 4E: Gather Data
- Lesson 5: Conducting Lean Six Sigma DMAIC Phase 3: The Analyze Phase
- Topic 5A: Describe the Analyze Phase
- Topic 5B: Perform Basic Statistical Calculations
- Topic 5C: Perform Correlation
- Topic 5D: Create a Value Stream Map
- Topic 5E: Identify Wastes in a Process
- Topic 5F: Perform Process Value Analysis
- Topic 5G: Perform Pareto Analysis
- Lesson 6: Conducting Lean Six Sigma DMAIC Phase 4: The Improve Phase
- Topic 6A: Describe the Improve Phase
- Topic 6B: Establish a Pull System
- Topic 6C: Generate Ideas for Solutions
- Topic 6D: Assess Risks
- Topic 6E: Pilot Solutions
- Lesson 7: Conducting Lean Six Sigma DMAIC Phase 5: The Control Phase
- Topic 7A: Describe the Control Phase
- Topic 7B: Draft a Process Management Plan
- Topic 7C: Perform SPC
- Lesson 8: Describing the Implementation of Lean Six Sigma
- Topic 8A: Identify the Essentials of Lean Six Sigma Implementation
- Topic 8B: Describe Lean Six Sigma for Service Organizations
- Topic 8C: Describe DMAIC Failure Modes