Green IT Foundations
Course SpecificationsCourse number: 085658
Course length: 3.0 day(s)
Course DescriptionCourse Objective: You will establish a framework from which an effective green IT
strategy can be built.
Target Student: An IT administrative manager, finance manager, or a senior manager
of an organization who needs to become more aware of “Green IT”,
its related terminology, and an understanding of best practices to facilitate
the establishment and implementation of green IT in an organization.
Prerequisites: This course does not require any prerequisite knowledge
of Green IT. However, students should be familiar with fundamental management
practices such as planning, creating, and implementing organizational strategies.
A base knowledge of management of people and finance and specific knowledge
of challenges involved in reducing equipment and operational costs of the
IT department in an organization may be helpful.
Hardware RequirementsIf you wish to use the overheads provided on the CD-ROM,
you will need to set up a computer for the instructor.
- Intel® Pentium® IV with 300 MHz (or better).
- At least 512 MB of RAM.
- CD-ROM drive.
- A monitor capable of 1024 x 768 screen resolution and 32-bit
- Internet connection.
Each computer requires the following software:
- Microsoft® Windows Vista®, or Windows® XP (Professional
or Home Edition).
- Microsoft® Office® 2007 or later.
Course ObjectivesUpon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- describe climate change and initiatives to address its
effects on the environment.
- describe the basics of green IT and green alternatives.
- describe the external and internal drivers for adopting
green IT initiatives.
- describe how to manage green procurement.
- describe the management of IT consumables.
- describe the methods used for IT asset disposal.
- identify the steps involved in the implementation of a
green IT strategy in an organization.
- describe a green IT action plan and its constituents.
- describe green auditing and finance.
- analyze green accounting methods.
- identify the importance of data centers in the IT industry,
their impact on the environment, and the metrics related to green data centers.
- describe some important considerations when designing a
green data center.
- describe the role of resource consolidation and virtualization
in greening a data center.
- describe ways to green the data backup infrastructure.
- describe the practices to green the office premises and
- describe the international initiatives, standards, and
laws governing climate change and greening.
- Lesson 1: Identifying Global Climatic Changes and Its Countermeasures
- Topic 1A: Identify Changes to the Global Climate
- Topic 1B: Examine Carbon Emissions and Carbon Footprints
- Topic 1C: Examine the Initiatives to Address Climate Change
- Lesson 2: Examining the Basics of Green IT and Green Alternatives
- Topic 2A: Overview of IT
- Topic 2B: Describe the Basics of Green IT
- Topic 2C: Identify the Challenges and Benefits of Green IT
- Topic 2D: Identify Greenwash
- Topic 2E: Examine IT Waste
- Topic 2F: Examine Green Alternatives
- Lesson 3: Examining the Drivers of Green IT Initiatives
- Topic 3A: Identify External Drivers for the Adoption of Green
- Topic 3B: Reduce Overhead and Energy Consumption
- Topic 3C: Enhance the Organization's Reputation
- Topic 3D: Implement a Sustainable Business Strategy
- Lesson 4: Managing Green Procurement
- Topic 4A: Describe Green Procurement
- Topic 4B: Incorporate a Green IT Procurement Framework
- Topic 4C: Identify the Significance of a Green Supply Chain
- Lesson 5: Managing IT Consumables
- Topic 5A: Describe Energy Management
- Topic 5B: Describe Temperature Management
- Topic 5C: Examine Document Management
- Topic 5D: Identify Hardware Management
- Lesson 6: Managing IT Asset Disposal
- Topic 6A: Describe IT Asset Disposal
- Topic 6B: Identify Recycling Compliance Organizations
- Lesson 7: Executing a Green IT Strategy
- Topic 7A: Choose a Green IT Strategy
- Topic 7B: Plan for a Green IT Strategy
- Topic 7C: Implement a Green IT Strategy
- Lesson 8: Examining
a Green IT Action Plan
- Topic 8A: Identify a Green IT Action Plan
- Topic 8B: Engage and Manage Employees and Stakeholders
- Topic 8C: Manage Risks and Changes in a Green IT Action Plan
- Lesson 9: Examining Green Auditing and Finance
- Topic 9A: Examine Green Auditing
- Topic 9B: Examine Green Finance and Accounting
- Lesson 10: Analyzing Green Accounting Methods
- Topic 10A: Identify Techniques for Calculating Carbon Footprints
- Topic 10B: Calculate Life Cycle Cost
- Topic 10C: Calculate Total Cost of Ownership
- Topic 10D: Calculate Payback Period
- Lesson 11: Introducing Green Data Centers
- Topic 11A: Examine Conventional Data Centers
- Topic 11B: Describe Green Data Centers
- Topic 11C: Assessment of Data Centers
- Lesson 12: Determining the Design of Green Data Centers
- Topic 12A: Examine the Design of Green Data Center Buildings
- Topic 12B: Describe Green Data Center Power and Cabling
- Topic 12C: Implement Temperature Control in Green Data Centers
- Topic 12D: Describe Refrigerants and Fire Suppressants
- Topic 12E: Introduce Green Hardware in Data Centers
- Lesson 13: Consolidating and Virtualizing the Resources
- Topic 13A: Introduce Resource Consolidation and Virtualization
- Topic 13B: Apply Virtualization of Servers and Desktops
- Topic 13C: Describe Consolidation and Virtualization of Storage
- Lesson 14: Greening the Data Backup Infrastructure
- Topic 14A: Describe Conventional Backup and Recovery Methods
- Topic 14B: Identify Green Methods for Data Backup and Recovery
- Lesson 15: Greening the Office Premises
- Topic 15A: Green the Office Equipment
- Topic 15B: Minimize E-Waste in the Office
- Topic 15C: Introduce Paperless Offices
- Lesson 16: Examining the International Initiatives, Standards,
- Topic 16A: Describe the International Initiatives for Climate
- Topic 16B: Describe International Standards and Certifications
for Greening Businesses
- Topic 16C: Describe the Voluntary Green IT Initiatives
- Topic 16D: Describe the Existing North American Laws
- Topic 16E: Describe the Existing Laws in Other Regions