Course SpecificationsCourse number: 088843
Course length: 0.5 day(s)
Course DescriptionCourse Objective: You will develop critical leadership skills so that you are able
to step forward with confidence as a leader in your organization. You will
develop practical, necessary skills such as managing your time well, communicating
effectively, and delegating work to others. You will also learn what great
leaders know: how to hire the right people, how to facilitate productive meetings
and handle conflict among team members, and how to coach people to give their
best job performance.
Target Student: This course is intended for a wide range of senior managers and
supervisors who seek advanced training in organizational leadership.
Prerequisites: To ensure your success, we recommend you first take the
following Element K course or have equivalent knowledge:
- What Good Managers Do: The First 100 Days
- At least 512 MB of RAM.
- A Pentium® III with 500 MHz (or better), or Macintosh®
Intel-based or PowerPC G4 (or better) processor.
- A monitor capable of 1024 x 768 screen resolution and 32-bit
Each computer requires the following software:
- Microsoft® Windows Vista®, Windows® XP (Professional
or Home Edition), Windows 2000, or Apple® Mac OS® X 10.4 (or higher).
- Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 7 (or higher), Mozilla®
Firefox® 2 (or higher), or Apple® Safari® 2 (or higher), with
pop-up blocking turned off.
- Adobe® Flash® Player 8 (current version recommended).
Course ObjectivesUpon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- learn to position yourself to lead.
- learn to build a winning team.
- learn to lead with confidence.
- Lesson 1: Position Yourself to Lead
- Topic 1A: Understand the Changing Role of Supervision
- Topic 1B: Build Your Confidence and Self-Esteem
- Topic 1C: Lead Organizational Change
- Topic 1D: Manage Your Time
- Topic 1E: Communicate Effectively
- Lesson 2: Build a Winning Team
- Topic 2A: Delegate to Succeed Through Others
- Topic 2B: Coach to Improve Performance
- Topic 2C: Conduct Valuable Performance Reviews
- Topic 2D: Build a High-Performing Team
- Topic 2E: Select and Hire Winners
- Lesson 3: Lead with Confidence
- Topic 3A: Facilitate Productive Meetings
- Topic 3B: Manage Conflict
- Topic 3C: Create a Motivating Environment
- Topic 3D: Establish Goals and Action Plans
- Topic 3E: Earn Followers in Your Leadership Role